Where is the first SolarPunk Park located?

Where is the first SolarPunk Park located?

SolarPunk Park is located in Downtown LA between Los Angeles Historical Park and Elysian Park on N Broadway Ave. Los Angeles, CA 90012.

Take a look inside SolarPunk Park Los Angeles:

Outdoor Space at SolarPunk Park Los Angeles:

History of Our Space:

On August 2, 1769, the Portolá expedition (the first Europeans to see inland areas of California) camped close to the Los Angeles River near the southeastern corner of the city park. California Historical Landmark #655 (Portolá Trail Campsite) is at the Meadow Road entrance.

The land now Solano Canyon was originally part of 87 acres purchased from the City of Los Angeles by Francisco Sales de Jésus Solano in 1866 for himself and his wife, María Rosa de las Mercedes Casanova, and their six children.  Natives of Costa Rica, Francisco, and Rosa, built an adobe and used the land to live on and work.  Francisco Solano was a butcher in Sonora Town (just north of the Plaza Church along Calle Principal, or Main Street). He moved some of his business up to the Canyon while maintaining his slaughterhouse and a corral on Main Street.  The land was first called Solano Cañon, then Solano Ravine on maps by 1876. However, Solano Canyon became a true community after 1888, when Alfredo Solano, the son of Francisco Solano and Rosa Casa, by then a prominent syor, subdivided the southernmost, 17-acre parcel of Francisco's property into the 100 lots that exist today.  This property was known as Solano Tract — later  Solano Tract No. 1 — and it is all of that part of present-day Solano Canyon between Solano Avenue and Casanova Street and south of the Arroyo Seco Parkway — now California State Highway 110, the Pasadena Freeway.

Solano Avenue is the principal street in historic Solano Canyon.  Along with Casanova Street, Solano Avenue is an original street, dating from Alfredo Solano's 1888 survey of his father, Francisco Solano's initial purchase of 16.96 acres from the City in 1866. Solano Avenue was created on May 2, 1888, and was described as running "NW of Buena Vista Street." (Buena Vista Street was renamed North Broadway in 1909).

Map credit: SR Box 32(23)07
Map credit: SR Box 32(23)07

This is what the original 16.96-acres tract looked like before it was subdivided, and the streets and house lots were named nus map is Buena Vista Street (now North is the only named street on this map broadway).

Map credit: SR Box 32(23)08
Map credit: SR Box 32(23)08

This map shows the location of Buena Vista Street relative to Solano Canyon and offers the proximity of Francisco Solano's property to the Los Angeles River map's text details of the City Council resolution that created the street in 1884.

One historical feature on Buena Vista Street (now North Broadway) that is á propos  Solano Canyon is a historic stone retaining wall built of native stone quarried from the Stone Quarry Hills.  This wall supported a level house lot in Solano Canyon Lot 100 at 1425 Buena Vista Road. The lot was allocated to María Solano, Alfred's sister and the wife of Guillermo Bouett, who built a house in which they lived until María moved to Long Beach about 1920 to live with her daughter, María Bouett Jones following the accidental death of her husband, Guillermo Bouett, a Captain in the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department, in the line of duty in 1913.

Native stone retaining wall at 1425 Buena Vista Road [Image: Lydia Moreno]
Native stone retaining wall at 1425 Buena Vista Road [Image: Lydia Moreno]